DIY Guide in Building Solar Hot Water Heater
Are you aware of the fact that the water heaters that we have at home consume more energy compared to the other electrical and household appliances and devices combined? What measures would you take to tremendously reduce your electricity consumption? In case you are one of these individuals, then it is suggested that you construct you own solar hot water heater. How can you do it? Continue reading this article should you be interested to learn more about solar water heaters and ways of building one.
Why Use Solar Energy in Powering Water Heaters?
Solar energy is utilized in this particular project simply because it is not only affordable but it is also deemed as among the cleanest renewable energy source these days. Since solar energy does not emit carbon dioxide, it is does not harm Mother Nature.
Studies reveal that solar hot water heater has the ability of cutting your heating costs by about 50%. In case you are one of the numerous property owners who have plans and intentions of decreasing their monthly electricity consumption and usage, then it is advised that they should build their own solar energy-powered water heaters. It is a reality that constructing your own solar-powered water heater is deemed as the best way to decrease you electricity bill and consumption monthly. You can definitely save money by sustainable means. Detailed below are guidelines on how you can construct your own solar-powered water heater.
How the Solar Hot Water Heater Works?
Same with the traditional water heater, the solar-powered water heater has a water tank and heating coil. Actually, the water inside the tank is pre-heated by simply trapping the rays of the sun using the heating coil. Once the water is heated, it then passively flows to your water pipes and to where the water is needed like the kitchen or the bathroom.
How to Construct Solar Hot Water Heater?
1. Be sure to construct a box. You can do it using 2x4s of strong particle board or plywood. It is suggested that you build a box that is suitable enough in containing your full-size water heater. Construct a box measuring around seven feet long, five feet tall and four feet wide. Property owners should also place the box at 30-degree angle in order to collect enough sunlight from the sun.
2. Make sure to insulate your water heater’s interior areas with the use of strong insulation materials.
3. Make sure to place reflective material on above the insulation material, like roofing galvanize tin. Make sure that to shape it comparable to a gigantic metal cradle and don’t forget to secure it with the use of nails or staples. The reflective curved tin will be the one to catch the rays of the sun and pass it to the water heater.
4. Be sure to place the water heater inside the gigantic box and don’t forget to cut holes to serve as the heater’s blow-out nozzle.
It is also suggested that you cover the huge box with the use of outdoor-grade glass. Be sure to secure the box’s side with the use of wood sealant.
6. Lastly, connect your solar water heater to your home water heater.
More ideas: More about the author